The RTP and House Edge at Online Casinos

There are two terms that you will come across when you are looking for an online casino game to play and these are the house edge and the RTP. These are terms that will be able to help you make the choice of what game to play at the casino. Most people tend to confuse the two terms and that is perfectly normal as they are in most cases used together. Below we shall look at  both the house house edge and the RTP and see why the two are very important when you are looking for a game to play.

What is the House Edge?

The house edge is term that is used describe the advantage that the casino will have over the player when they are playing casino games. This then means that all real money online casino games will have a house edge. But you also have to know that the house edge for each real money gambling will be different. Each unique online casino game will have its own separate house edge. For some games like roulette and craps, the different bets that you make in the game will also have a different house edge each.

Why do game have a house edge?

As we mentioned that the house edge is the advantage that the casino has over the player. The reason why online casino games have a house edge is so that the casino gaming sites are able to get a little bit of something from the games at the site. The online casinos are in a business and they have to be able to make money, that is why they have that little advantage over the player.

Secondly the reason why casino games have a house edge is so that you can determine the amount of money that you are able to win when you are playing the game. 

The house will not favour players but it is necessary to ensure the smooth running of an online casino.

What is the RTP?

The RTP means this is the return to player. This is the amount of real money that a player can win when they are playing online casino games. Therefore, the RTP is the exact opposite of the house edge. While the house edge tells you how much of a percentage the house has of winning with the RTP you know the percentage that you have of winning the games. 

Each online casino game that you will come across will have its own different RTP and there are some games like roulette and carps that will have different RTP for the different bets that you can play.

Why do games have an RTP?

The RTP will tell the player the percentage of the money that they can walk away with when they play the game. This will then get the player to play more games. However, you need to know that the RTP is theoretical and it does not men that that you are able to win that percentage each time that you gamble. 

How to calculate RTP and House Edge

The RTP goes hand in glove with the house edge. What we mean is that when we calculate one you will automatically het the value of the other. Both the RTP and the house edge are expressed as a percentage and when added up, they should always give you a total sum of 100%. 

Therefore, if you are to play a game like online slots for instance. These games have a RTP of  at most 98% meaning as a player you are able to get back 98% of the real money that you wagered. This then means that the casino will have a slim winning chance of just 2%. And vice versa playing a game like blackjack that has a house edge of 1.5% means that the player will be able to win 98.5% of the time. 

However, as we mentioned earlier, the RTP is theoretical and does not mean that you will be able to win games at that percentage each time that you play them.

Why the RTP and House Edge Matter

These two terms will be able to help you to pick out the games that you can play. In essence you want to ensure that you pick games that have a very low house edge, this will mean that you have a high RTP and you have more chances of wining real money rewards. Each game will have house edge and an RTP and as look for them, one of the two will always be stated. Each online casino gambling site have the RTP and the house edge as well. Therefore, you want to play at sites that have a low house edge as this will then give you a high RTP.